Tuesday, May 22, 2012

[San Gabriel] [Taiwanese] Ay Chung Flour Rice Noodle

Ay Chung Flour Rice Noodle
阿宗麵線
140 W Valley Blvd, #208
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 280-0186

I was seriously craving for Taiwanese intestine thin noodle. When I visited my sister 2 weeks ago, I requested to go to Ay Chung Flour Rice Noodle for lunch.



When we got there, first thing I noticed was there was no sign outside the restaurant. We almost missed it. Something was different inside as well. First this place is now a sit down restaurant, where a waiter will seat you and take your order, instead of ordering at the counter like before.



On the menu, their most popular item "Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodle" was crossed out. What???? Then our waiter handed me a business card. He said that everything on the menu will remain the same, plus they are adding more new dishes including their famous beef noodle soup. What???? But I want my Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodle!! Nooooooo....


大腸肉羹麵線 Intestine and Pork Flour Rice Noodle ($4.60)

They still offer two flour rice noodle dishes. The one with oyster and intestine is about $7, which is really expensive in my opinion. So I opted for the cheaper version with intestine and pork. The noodle soup was not bad, but it just tasted different.


臭豆腐 Strong Odour Tofu ($4.30)

Almost everyone ordered Stinky Tofu so we got one as well. Their stinky tofu was huge! And it tasted great, even better than the noodle. It had a crispy outside, and just the right amount of stinkyness. The pickled cabbage complimented the tofu well.

After this visit, I don't think I'll be returning here again though. Where else can I get good intestine thin noodle? Maybe I should just learn how to make it at home.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!!!!!! I can't believe they got rid of the Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodle!!! That was basically the main reason why my girlfriend and I got hooked on this place after one try, maybe 2-3 years ago. Now we're not sure if we'll be going back! Thanks for this post!

    Isn't that sad?
    I won't be going back there, either. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kang Kang Foodcourt at 9618 Las Tunas Dr
    Temple City, CA 91780 or 27 E Valley Blvd
    Alhambra
    Alhambra, CA 91801 have a good Oyster flour rice noodle for $6-7 but it can feed 2-3 ppl, it's really huge portion. Taste wise for me actually it's better than Ay-Chung, too.

    I've been to Kang Kang plenty of times.
    But never tried their oyster noodle.
    I will give them a try next time I'm in the area.
    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete