Thursday, April 5, 2012

[San Gabriel] [Chinese] Shanghai Restaurant

Shanghai Restaurant
上海聚福樓
140 W Valley Blvd #211
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 288-0991

We went to Shanghai Restaurant for Chinese New Year, and was turned away because we didn't have reservation. This was a restaurant that my parents wanted to try. So for my dad's birthday, we made reservation to make sure we would get a table this time.


醃篤鮮新筍砂鍋 Bamboo Shoot Clay Pot ($17.95)

I didn't like the soup at all. I think they used preserved meat in there. I thought it smelt like.... dog.



馬蘭頭拌香干 Tofu Vege Cold Dish ($5.95)

I like this cold appetizer. The green veggie is called "ma-lan".


功德林素鴨 House Vegetarian Duck ($5.95)

The Vegetarian Duck appetizer was made with bamboo shoots and mushroom wrapped in tofu skin. It was really good.


咸蛋黃雞卷 Salty Egg Chicken Roll ($6.95)

Another good cold appetizer. All the appetizers tasted great. But it was served in a tiny plate with very small portion. For $6 or $7, I thought they were very expensive.


上海八寶辣醬 Eight Delight Shanghai Spicy Sauce ($11.95)

Not spicy at all. Not bad, but not memorable either.


醬方東坡肉 Braised Pork with Brown Sauce ($18.95)

This was a dish I liked, especially the skin and the veggies.


大立魚 Fish Fillet ($16.95)

The Chinese name is called "Big Fish". The fish wasn't big at all. Each of us (8 people) got one or two bites and it was all gone.


絲瓜面筋煲 Chinese Squash with Beancurd Skin ($8.95)

This dish was very oily. The beancurd skin balls were drenched with oil. I took a bite, and oil just burst out into my mouth. Very disgusting.


齊菜炒年糕 Stir-fried Rice Cake ($7.95)

Stir-fried rice cake was really good. Probably my favorite dish of the night.


水煮羊肉 Poached Slice Lamb in Hot Chili Oil ($12.95)

I guess you can't expect good Szuchen dishes in a Shanghai restaurant. The spicy lamb wasn't spicy, and just didn't have the right taste.


咸肉菜飯 Salty Meat Vege Rice ($7.95)

The salty meat vege rice was good too. My aunt liked the crispy rice around the edge of the pot.


芝麻小湯圓酒釀 Sweet Mini Sesame Balls ($9.38)

I love the mini sesame ball sweet dessert soup. I have two big bowls!



There was one dish that my dad ordered, which never came to the table. When he asked our waiter about it, instead of just saying he forgot to write it down, he tried to say he thought we ordered too much food so he "did us a favor" and didn't put the order in. Uh.... that made me dislike him. I don't like people who make up stupid lies to cover up their mistakes. Why not just admit you made a mistake and apologize for it? But instead he even wanted us to "thank him" for this favor that he did for us?



I don't think I like this restaurant. Food was just ok, and very expensive. I dislike our lying waiter very much. But I had a great time with my family. And that's all it matters!

4 comments:

  1. no offence , most ppl fm china they never admit their mistakes.

    I don't people who cannot admit their mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It seems like you are there just eat not enjoy the eating process.

    Have been there? I really thought their food is just ok.
    But their business is sooooo good. Why why why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd like this restaurant either, it showed on the pictures as well (plus your review). However, I wish we have more authentic Chinese restaurants here in Michgan. I was teaching famous Chinese dishes before spring break, and I could only show my students video clips :P

    Or you can cook it yourself? haha... :-P
    I've read a lot of blog from people who lives in small town in different countries
    where they do have authentic Chinese/Taiwanese food.
    These people often become really really good cook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been there once, and I don't like them at all! My friend ordered the hot and sour soup, it was too sour and salty to eat, so we sent them back. And the come back "new" one was just added some water. Hello???!!! Never ever go back again...... Shanghai cuisine? Try this one http://www.yelp.com/biz/jj-noodle-house-rowland-heights

    Thanks for the recommendation, Xinyi!
    After the meal, I seriously wonder how come their business is so good?!

    ReplyDelete