Tuesday, September 27, 2011

OC Brew Ha Ha

Lucky me! I won two tickets for OC Brew Ha Ha from Yelp. I entered the beer fest contest for Dr. P because he loves beer. I wasn't too excited about it since I am not that into beer. But the event turned out to be so fun that we both want to go back again next year.



The event was held at Hidden Valley Private Park, which is right between Verizon Amphitheater and Wild Rivers. Parking is free, which was great. As we were entering the park, we saw some hot beer promo girls. One of the guy from the group walking behind us said, "Look! There are tourists here." A girl replied,"Tourists? They're not tourists! They're beer girls. You think tourists from Germany would really dress like that?" haha....




Ticket for OC Brew Ha Ha is $40/person. It sounded expensive, but the money would go to Fallen Fire Fighters Relief Fund, a non-profit organization that aids families of fire fighters lost in the line-of-duty, so it's for a very good cause. Upon checking in, each of us was given a tasting glass and a wrist band with 10 tabs to pull off. Supposedly each person only get 10 4 oz pour. But a lot of the vendors give you way way way more than 4 oz, and a lot of them didn't take the tab off the wristband. So it was pretty much all you can drink beer.



I took pictures of the stands that we tried, but honestly, I couldn't really remember the taste, except two beers that I absolutely love.



So many people were smoking cigars. I guess cigar and beer go well together? Dr. P also loves cigar so he got one as well.



Dr. P got a free hat from Swell at the entrance. With that hat, cigar in his mouth, holding two beer in his hands... OMG he was so white trash looking! haha....



Crispin Cider! One of my favorite "beer" I tried that day. It's an all natural "hard" apple cider. On that day, they had a raspberry flavor one. It tasted like raspberry apple cider, without any bitter beer taste, but with the alcohol. That was totally my kind of beer. I love it!



I guess the trunk of this car was filled with beer? Can you imagine taking a road trip with this car, and stop whenever you get "thirsty" to get a sip from your trunk? haha....



Stadium Brewing Co. is about 3 minutes away from our house, but we've never tried the place. I stopped by their stand because they were giving away free food.



Ahi tuna with seaweed! It was really really good.



Since I was there, might as well try their beer. One of the beer they were serving was blueberry beer. After the guy poured some beer into my glass, he asked if I wanted some blueberries in my beer. Sure! This turned out to be the BEST BEER I'VE EVER HAD! If you are like me, who don't like the beer taste at all, you'll love this fruity beer. It tasted like blueberry soda. And the addition of blueberries was genius. It reminds me of boba in boba milk tea, but even better than boba. I can drink this blueberry beer all day long!



While I was trying to get my blueberry beer, Dr. P went to the next stand to try the beer from The Bruary.



Dr. P trying more beer.



We have very different taste in beer. He likes strong flavor, and I like really light beer, preferably the one that doesn't even taste like beer at all.



One of the event sponsor was KROQ, my favorite radio station. The artist that was performing when we were there was Seedless. Great music!



There was an area for people to sit, eat, and rest. There were about 5 or 6 food trucks on site. We didn't know there were going to be food trunks there and just had Chick-fil-A before we came. We were just too full (of beer also) to try the food trucks.



We decided to take a short break and sit down to enjoy the music. Hey, but I want some of my favorite blueberry beer to go with the music. We went back to the Stadium Brewing Co. stand, I told them how much I love the beer, and they poured me a FULL glass of it. Nice!



And they also offered us more free food. Ahi tuna was still great. And the hot wing was.... seriously hot! I have never ever had a chicken wing THAT spicy. Dr. P and I both thought they probably made a mistake. Just one bite, our entire mouth, tongue, lips were burning for a good 20 minutes. So glad I had my blueberry beer to ease the burn.



One more tasting, then we had to go to the bathroom. The line at the bathroom was long, but everyone was so friendly and nice. People were so patient and orderly, just chatting and joking around with each in line. Did beer do that to people?



There's my white trash husband! haha....



Fire truck! By the way, if you search the words "fire truck"on Youtube, you'll see a pretty funny video. :-)



I thought it was a fire truck, but when we got closer, we found out it was a mobile pizza truck called Pizetta Company 77.



We sampled their Pesto Splash Pizza, and it was amazing! We went back for a second slice. When I had the pizza on a plate in my hand, I slipped and fell down on my knees. I scraped my knees, but I held my hand up and saved the pizza. That's how good the pizza was!

What a fun event! We thought the crowd would be rowdy and everyone would be drunk. Everyone was drunk alright. But no rowdy crowd, just bunch of nice and friendly and happy people. The only complaint we have is that the event is too short. It was only from 12pm to 3pm. And they kicked us out when the event was over. I thought they should at least give you some time to sit down, relax, rest, and sober up before kicking people out to drive home. Oh well, but we still had tons of fun. We want to go again next year!

2 comments:

  1. Eileen, did you know that the grounds of the Irvine Amphitheater/Wild Rivers area used to be the site of Lion Country Safari? I think it shut down in the mid 1980's and was a popular amusement attraction where families slowly drove in their cars (windows rolled up tightly) while lions and all kinds of other wildlife lived out in the open----and would often come right up to your car! It was kind of like a smaller San Diego Wild Animal Park but instead of riding on a tram families stayed inside their own cars. I look at old photos that I took at Lion Country Safari and think to myself how dangerous it would be if anybody got out of the car!

    Yeah, while waiting in line, we overheard someone talking about the area used to be a zoo.
    To bad it's not there anymore. If there's a wild animal park near me, I would be there all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the zebra-striped Jeeps that the employees drove!

    One of our neighbors in Balboa bought a leftover Jeep after Lion Country Safari closed and drove it around for years.

    Wow! That's so cool!
    I would LOVE to drive a zebra-striped Jeep! :-)

    ReplyDelete