Friday, September 16, 2011

[Costa Mesa] [Mexican] Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill

Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill
3333 Bristol St #1876
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 979-7469
http://www.ztejas.com

After dinner at Season 52 the other day, we went into the mall and did a little shopping. I bought a few things on pre-sale, and had to go back to pick them up a few days later. I had my eyes on Z'Tejas' happy hour menu for a while. Happy hour, then pick up my things, then more shopping? Sounds like a perfect Saturday to me!



I was so glad Z'Tejas' happy hour is seven days a week instead of Monday through Friday like most places.



Corn Bread

Our waitress brought us some hot corn bread on an iron skillet right after we ordered. The corn bread smelt divine.



Corn bread and butter, I like, yum!


Stella Artois Draft ($4.00) / House White Wine ($3.00)

Dr. P got Stella Artois Draft, and I got a glass of House White Wine. On the menu it just said $2 off, and I didn't even know how much it was. I found out later it was only $3! And it was a really good glass of icy cold white wine.


Grilled Shrimp & Guacamole Tostada Bites ($6.00)
Tostada rounds topped with fresh hand-made guacamole, a dash of chipotle and cilantro pesto marinated grilled shrimp.

We asked our waitress for her recommendation since it was our first time at the restaurant. She said we have to get Grilled Shrimp & Guacamole Tostada Bites. It's their best dish. I trusted her, ordered it, and so glad we listened. It was seriously the best dish of the day. The shrimp was huge, cooked perfectly, and seasoned perfectly. When it was paired with a dash of chipotle sauce and lots of creamy guacamole, on top of a piece of crispy toastada, OMG this "bite" was soooooo delicious! The cucumber and red onion salad was really good as well. I would order this one every time I go to Z'Tejas from now on.


Chile Pork Verde ($5.00)
Tender pork simmered in tomatillos, Anaheim and serrano peppers, with melted Jack and cotija cheese, served with hot tortillas.

Dr. P loved Mexican verde sauce. Chile Pork Verde was an appetizer, but I thought it was more like an entree dish. Portion was huge! Eating the chile pork verde alone was a bit salty. But wrap it with some flour tortilla then it was perfect. Pork was tender. Melted cheese, salsa verde, Mmmmmm... mouth watering!


Catfish Beignets ($4.00)
Catfish crusted with cornmeal and fried crisp, with jalapeno tartar sauce.

Catfish Beignets was fried, but didn't feel oily at all. The jalapeno tartar sucae was yummy.


Seared Sesame Ahi Tuna ($6.00)

Dr. P loves ahi tuna. He always wants to order it when he sees it on the menu. Who orders ahi tuna from a Tex-Mex restaurant? It proved that nobody should! Seared Sesame Ahi Tuna was horrible. The tuna sat in a sweet red wine vinaigrette sauce, and was drizzled with some chipotle sauce. It was just a bad mix of Asian and American and Mexican cuisine. We didn't like the sauces at all.


House Red Wine ($3.00)

Our waitress gave us the bill. I found out the house wine was only $3. Gotta get another one at that price! So I got another glass of house red wine.


Cheesecake ($6.25)

I guess I over estimated myself. After two glasses of wine, I was pretty buzzed. I didn't think I could go shopping in that state. I needed to sober up a bit before walking around in the mall. We remember learning from a wine tasting class that diary can help you sober up fast (that's why cheese is good with wine). I think a cheesecake would do the trick. Z'Tejas' cheesecake had 6 different layers, and 6  different flavors. I couldn't remember all of them, but I think there were blueberry, mocha, chocolate, original, and the other two I can't remember. It was a huge piece of cheese cake. I managed to finished 2/3 of it, and like magic, I didn't feel so drunk anymore!



Really good happy hour. I think I'll stop by at Z'Tejas to get a glass of wine and shrimp & guacamole tostada bite every time I go to South Coast to shop now.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try Z’Tejas' happy hour but got no chance to go!

    You should plan a happy hour shopping trip haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there two weeks ago, ahahaha~ For brunch, I ordered vege quesadilla, my friend ordered chicken burger, we don't like our orders, hehe ~

    Have you try the restaurant cross the hallway? Seems really popular~

    What's the name of the restaurant?
    I wasn't paying attention and didn't even notice it.

    ReplyDelete