Saturday, December 31, 2011

[Fullerton] [French] The Cellar

The Cellar
305 N Harbor Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92832
(714) 525-5682
http://www.cellardining.com

I had a $30 for $60 dining voucher for The Cellar for a long time. I actually bought it for our anniversary, but ended up not using it. The voucher was about to expire so we went to this fancy French restaurant for a "casual" weeknight dinner. :-P



This restaurant was a little hard to find. It is hidden inside a shops/apartment building. We had to call the restaurant to find the hidden stairs to the basement "cellar".




We asked for a quieter table when we made the reservation. We were seated at a private booth near the fireplace. The hostess girl told us it was the best seat of the restaurant.



Wall of wine on the other side of the booth.


Fonterutoli, Castello, Chianti, 2006 ($65.00)

We told the waiter our budget, and he picked the wine for us. It was a great Chianti. After the waiter poured us the drink, he said "enjoy the wine" and left us alone for about 30 minutes. I really like that. Dr. P and I just sipped wine and chatted. It made us feel more relax to enjoy dinner.


Bread

The crusty bread was delicious. We had to asked for second.


Escargot ($12.00)
Sauteed with button mushrooms, garlic, shallots, butter, Pernod, thyme, The Cellar's classic demi-glace and served in a copper pot.

Escargot had delicious sauce for dipping the bread with. The mushroom was really good. I only wish there were more pieces of escargot.


Broiled King Salmon ($28.00)
Over potato and parsnip puree and finished with a sun-dried tomato cream sauce

I ordered Broiled King Salmon. It was cooked perfectly, and the sun-dried tomato cream sauce was delicious.


Classic Chateaubriand Roasted Tenderloin of Beef ($36.50)
With an array of vegetables and sauce bearnaise

Dr. P wanted to have the steak, but on the menu the only option was steak for two for $73. Our waiter told us he would let us order just one steak for 1/2 price. In that way we could order one meat and one seafood dishes. That was very nice of him.



Beef Tenderloin was prepared medium rare. It was really really good. Dr. P only finished half, and I had the leftover the next day. It was just as good even after heating up in the microwave.


Macaroni ($6.00)
In a Bechamel sauce with gruyere cheese, black truffles and topped with pancko bread crumbs

Macaroni + cheese + truffle + bread crumb.... I LOVE their macaroni and cheese!


Hot Grand Marnier Souffle ($9.50)

Perfect ending for the meal, Hot Grand Marnier Souffle.


Coffee ($3.50)

Dr. P let me have most of the dessert while drinking his coffee.



My new camera takes really good picture even with dim light!



Delicious and romantic dinner! We really like this old school French restaurant. Food was delicious, and service was exceptional. Would love to return again for special occasion... or another "casual" dinner?

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a great time there. My wife and I went there about two months ago, but everything was just so so for us. We didn't order as much food as you did, so maybe that's why the service we got was really...not that great.

    We had an old waiter who has been working there for 20+ years.
    He was really polite and helpful. Sorry that you didn't have a good experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it about French food??
    The pictures alwas look so 'so so' but the food taste soooooo good. I would say French cooking is my favorite cuisine, not only for the food, but for the entire dining experience including the ambiance that is so conducive to conversations.

    I agree with you 100%!!
    French food "looks" simple, but tastes exceptional.
    It takes time, skill, and experience to make great French food.
    We never felt rushed during our dinner.
    They want you to take your time and enjoy the meal.
    Very different than the American style eat-pay-and get out of here fast dining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or the Sichuen/Thai/Vietanamese/Taiwanese/Korean cuisines - which are, oh my gosh, the food is SOOOO good and so tasty and I've got to keep eating...because I can't stop myself and I don't have time to talk to you while we're eating (bowing down for the rice and noodles and eating some more nom nom nom...)

    Or the Spanish/Salvadorean/Peruvian/Mexican cuisines - which are, damn, this garlic, chili, cilantro is so FINE and so awesome with the grilled meats!!!!! Ole!!!! Hand me more tortillas and can I have another 3 plates of rice and beans??? Where's the music??? Where's my frozen margarita???

    So I guess there's no better or worse.
    But.
    A French meal is just more cerebral, sensual, and civilized. Oui, mademoiselle?

    hahahahaha... I LOVE your comment, Joanna!
    You made me laugh out loud.
    I couldn't agree more with you.
    I guess you and I just love food, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete