Monday, June 20, 2011

[City of Industry] [Japanese] Honda Ya Japanese Restaurant

Honda Ya Japanese Restaurant
17200 Railroad St
City of Industry, CA 91748
(626) 964-6777

It was my dear friend Sybil's birthday. She chose Honda-Ya as the place to have her birthday dinner. Our reservation was at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. The restaurant wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. At first we were seated at a table that was obviously way too small for 12 people (it could only sit 8 so I don't know why they gave us that table). We made a request to change to a bigger table, and they put several tables together in the tatami room for us. It was better that way because we felt almost like we had our private room. We ordered SO MUCH food. I wasn't able to get pictures for all the dishes (I think I only got maybe 1/5 of it, and the pictures were mostly blurry.... Damn alcohol!). But the night was more about friends than about food.


Cucumber

As soon as we sat down, we ordered a few pitchers of Kirin beer ($13.00/each). The complimentary salted cucumber was actually quite good with beer.




Here's the birthday girl Sybil with her hubby.



Dr. P and I couldn't wait to start drinking eating!


Gizzard ($2.00)

I was in charge to order yakitori. I read each items on the yakitori menu, and whoever wanted it would raise their hands. It felt like we were in elementary school. haha.... We ordered quite a few sticks of yakitori. They came out pretty slowly. By the time we got our last sticks of yakitori, it was probably 3 hours later. The first one we got was gizzard. I didn't eat this one.


Scallop ($3.95)

Scallop was huge! I like the "actual" scallop part. The outer "egg (?)" part tasted quite fishy and had a powdery texture. Didn't like that.


Spicy Tuna Roll ($7.00)

Spicy Tuna Roll was standard.


Pork Belly ($2.00/each)

Pork Belly was pretty good.


Leg Meat ($2.25)

Chicken leg was very tender.


Meat Ball ($2.25/each)

Chicken Meat Ball was my favorite!


Spicy Wing ($2.75/each)

Spicy Wing wasn't exactly spicy, but was still good. Oh and it was $0.25 more expensive than regular wing.


Kinoko Zosui ($5.95)

I had a spoonful of Mushroom Porridge. It was good. I remember the Tustin Honda Ya has really good chicken porrdige.


Stinky Cut Roll ($10.50)

Stinky Cut Roll was spicy tuna roll with albacore and avocado on top, and drizzled with garlic ponzu sauce. I liked this one a lot.


Gindara Miso ($8.50)

Miso Cod tasted good, but the piece of cod was paper thin. Not really worth the money.


Shitake Mushroom ($2.50)

Mushroom wasn't as juicy as I hoped it would be.


Kikusui Sake ($39.00)

After finishing two small 720ml bottles of Kikusui Sake, we ended up ordering another giant bottle ($85.00). I seriously think they watered down the sake because we drank so much, and NONE of us felt drunk from the sake. Some of the girls couldn't drink at all. Even they didn't feel anything.


Spicy Lamb Chop ($3.95)

Spicy Lamb Chop, just like the chicken wings, wasn't spicy. It was cooked well.



Cake time! Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Sybil, happy birthday to you~~~~


Birthday Cake

I don't know where the cake was from, but it looked fancy. Love the white chocolate flower on top.



Yummy strawberry mousse cake.



Our super long bill. It wouldn't even fit into one picture. We wondered if there were any mistakes on the bill, but nobody went over it. After looking at the pictures when I uploaded into my computer, I think they did made a few mistakes on the bill. We only ordered 2 miso cod, but was charged for 4. Also only one stinky cut roll, but was charged for 2.



Our total came to about $55/person. Not too bad for the amount of food and drinks we got. Although if I wouldn't want to give them $92.45 for tips if I had a choice. Service wasn't all that great.



Group picture time!



Then we ask the Designated Drivers boys to take a group picture (notice none of them were drinking? It was girl's drink night out. haha...). Sam kept on going "but why? why? why do you want to take a picture of bunch of guys? why?", and it was caught on camera with his hand gesture. haha... so funny.



Can't wait for our trips that we talked about! Love my girls!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Eileen for the pictures! The one with all guys was funny haha
    I had such a good time hanging out with my best friends <3
    Oh the cake was from RJ :)

    It was such a fun night!
    We should get together more often!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks good, you guys look amazing!
    btw, I can't find the restaurant on yelp with the address you provided.

    Their Yelp page is right here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/honda-ya-city-of-industry

    ReplyDelete