Wednesday, June 22, 2011

[Cook] Rice Cooker Butter Cake

My sister bought a Taiwanese cookbook called "你想吃的甜點電子鍋都會做" (Make Desserts with Rice Cooker). Seriously? I can make cakes in rice cooker? She let me borrow the book to try out some recipes.


奶油蛋糕 Butter Cake

The first cake I tried was a simple Butter Cake. It was made with eggs, sugar, pastry flour, baking powder, butter, and vanilla extract. I just mixed everything, leave it in the rice cooker, and press the cook button. The first time and machine beeped (to signal it is done), the cake wasn't even half done. It was still in that watery state. So I pressed the cook button one more time. The second time it beeped, it was completely done. the cake looked good, and it smelt good, too.




I'm not sure if it was a little overcooked, or it was just supposed to be this way. But I found this cake to be a little harder and drier than I expected. The taste was good though. It wasn't overly sweet, and taste like how cake is done in Taiwan. I will try other recipes in the cookbook, and experiment with adjusting ingredients amount. Hopefully it'll come out better next time.

Butter Cake

3 eggs
90g sugar
150g pastry flour
5g baking powder
60g butter
2~3 drops vanilla extract
Sugar syrup (mix 2 tablespoon and 3 tablespoon water, and heat up in microwave for 20 seconds)

1. Cut butter into small pieces. Heat in microwave until it melts (about 20 seconds).
2. Butter the rice cooker pot (with extra butter).
3. Mix eggs and sugar until sugar dissolves.
4. Add vanilla extract into egg mixture. Add flour and baking powder.
5. Mix the ingredients. Be careful not to over-mix, otherwise the cake won't rise.
6. Add melted butter. Continue mixing.
7. Mix until everything is in the same consistency and same color.
8. Add the mixture into buttered rice cooker pot (add the mixture from the side, not center).
9. Hit the pot on the table 2 or 3 times (to get the air out). Place the pot in rice cooker, and press "cook" button.
10. Use toothpicks to check the cake when the machine beeps. If it's not done, press "cook" button again, and check every 10 minutes.
11. Remove the cake from the pot. Brush sugar syrup on cake.
12. Place cake on a cooling rack to cool.

*The ingredients amount is for 6-people rice cooker. For 3-people rice cooker, use 2/3 of everything. For 10-people rice cooker, double everything.*

6 comments:

  1. Wow, baking a cake in a rice cookier--what a cool idea! It looks so delightfully round and plump too!

    There's another book in the same series called "making bread with rice cooker".
    Haven't tried anything from that book yet. I never knew a rice cooker can do so much, either. haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these recipes for any kind of rice cooker? Bc I know zojirushi specifically has different rice cookers that can bake

    I have no idea if the recipe is fit for all rice cooker.
    I used Zojirushi 3 cup rice cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I didn't know a rice cooker could make a cake! Please post more of these rice cooker treats. I want to see more! :)

    I never knew, either!
    I will definitely try more recipes from the book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 是電子鍋還是大同電鍋呢?
    好簡單喔 ^^

    K.J

    這本書是寫給電子鍋的
    但是我覺得大同電鍋做出來搞不好會更好吃

    ReplyDelete
  5. the first pic looks like a giant buttery cookie! haha.. looks yummy but the cut up pic does look a bit dry.. yeah, i think by adjusting the time or water or something would def makes it better

    The recipe said to check every 10 minutes if it's not done the first time.
    But I didn't. I just let it cook the complete cycle again the 2nd time.
    I think it's just overcooked. Going to try the chocolate cake recipe next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahahahhaha ~the cake is so so cute~

    haha I know. So plump and round.

    ReplyDelete