Sunday, July 1, 2012

[San Gabriel] [Taiwanese] Yung Ho Restaurant

Yung Ho Restaurant
533 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91778
(626) 570-0860

Before going to Anime Expo 2012 today, I stopped by at Yung Ho Restaurant to pick up some Chinese breakfast.


鹹豆漿 Salty Soy Milk

I got Salty Soy Milk and Salty Rice Roll. These two are my favorite Chinese breakfast items. I was quite disappointed at my breakfast though. The salty soy milk's flavor tasted like it was missing something. There wasn't enough green onion, and they've omit the pickled veggies (榨菜). Instead, it was just filled with soggy fried Chinese donut (油條) pieces.


鹹飯糰 Salty Rice Roll

The salty rice roll was soggy. Rice was soggy. The fried donut in the center was soggy. No good.

I remember breakfast at Yung Ho used to be decent. What happened? Oh well, at least I still got pretty full for under $5.

3 comments:

  1. Yung Ho, in my opinion, has not been good for quite some time. I believe neither branch is run by the original Taiwanese proprietors and is now owned by Mainland Chinese. Try Four Seas (Si Hai) in San Gabriel or Huge Tree Pastry in Monterey Park. I think both are a little more expensive but sell MUCH better Taiwanese breakfast.

    I've been to Si Hai before.
    Yup, it was a lot better than Yung Ho.
    Yung Ho used to be good.
    But now I think about it, I thing it was 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen, Huge Tree Pastry in Monterey Park used to be Yi Mei Pastry, still owned by Taiwanese. Their items are still great and everything still tastes really good.

    I will definitely try Huge Tree Pastry next time I'm up there.
    Do you recommend any dishes there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's what we've tried and loved: jiang rou shao bing, fan tuan, salty soy milk, guah bao, luo buo gao + dan, tsong yoh bing (Honeybuns loved this, but it is oily), chrysanthemum tea, mi jiang, and suan mei tang (Honeybuns is a BIG suan mei tang person - looks for it everywhere we go). There's a lot more to try, so I'm looking forward to going up there again :-)

    OMG I love EVERYTHING you mentioned,
    especially the guah bao. I am so looking forward to try this place now!

    ReplyDelete