Saturday, July 7, 2012

[Cook] Tamago Toji Jiru (Stirred Egg Soup)

Tamago Toji Jiru (Stirred Egg Soup) is a very fast and easy dish. In Chinese, we call this "egg flower soup". I made this soup for breakfast. I think it took me 5 minutes, and we had a simple yet delicious soup. The recipe is for 1 bowl of soup. But you can simply double the amount to make soup for 2 as I did (or for 4 or 8 as you like).


Tamago Toji Jiru (Stirred Egg Soup)



1 medium egg
1 cup dashi or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon sake
Pinch of salt
1 green onion, thinly sliced lengthwise and then cut crosswise into thirds
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)



Break the egg into a small bowl and beat lightly just until blended; set aside.



In a small saucepan, bring the dashi or chicken broth to a rolling simmer over medium heat. Add the sake and salt.



Then, using chopsticks or a fork, stir the egg into the broth and swirl the pan for about 30 seconds. The egg will set in long threads.



Add the green onion and remove from the heat. Drizzle in the sesame oil for aroma, if you like.



Pour into a bowl and serve immediately.

Serves 1

(Recipe from Let’s Cook Japanese Food)

1 comment:

  1. Simple,easy,delicious,economic,and pretty colorful...I like it..
    I always adds on some noodles (if rush,I use ramen, if not, I use raw noodle from markets),
    or adds on some chopped tomato...

    Yeah, we like to add tomatoes and tofu in Chinese version.

    ReplyDelete