Tuesday, July 17, 2012

[Cook] Nasu no Agebitashi (Spicy Sweet-and-Sour Eggplant)

This recipe called for Japanese or Chinese eggplants. But I didn't find these at my local supermarket so I just used regular eggplants. Also I didn't deep fry the eggplants as instructed in the recipe. Instead I just used less oil and sauteed them in a wok. This dish tastes good even when it's cold. I didn't think this dish is spicy at all. But it was savory, sweet, and sour all at the same time. The flavor is quite addicting.


Nasu no Agebitashi (Spicy Sweet-and-Sour Eggplant)




Canola or other neutral oil for deep-frying
8 Japanese or Chinese eggplants, about 2 pounds total weight, trimmed and cut crosswise into 2-inch-thick pieces
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chili bean paste
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons minced green onion, including tender green tops



Pour the canola oil to a depth of 3 inches into a wok or deep, wide saucepan and heat until bubbles immediately form around a wooden chopstick held upright in the pan. Working in batches, add the eggplant pieces, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry, turning as needed, until soft and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Using chopsticks or tongs, remove to a wire rack or paper towels to drain.

(As I mentioned earlier, I sauteed the eggplants instead of deep frying.)



To make the sauce, in a small saucepan, stir together the garlic, ginger, mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, chili bean paste, and sugar and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. remove from the heat.



Pour the sauce into a serving bowl, add the eggplant, and mix lightly to coat all the eggplant with the sauce.



Top with the green onions. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Serve 4 as an appetizer or side dish

 

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! I'm going to make this for dinner this weekend... I just had the same dish from takeout a few nights ago; this looks a lot healthier and is probably a lot cheaper. :)

    Oh yes, it'll be much cheaper if you make it yourself. :-)
    I think the traditional way is to deep fry the eggplants.
    But you can do what I did, just saute the eggplants with a little bit of oil.
    I think it's healthier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time try the Chinese eggplant and it taste really different.
    In a traditional way, deep fry the eggplant make it soft but absorb too much oil.
    You may try steam it first and saute afterward.

    Yeah I noticed eggplant soaks up A LOT of oil.
    Next time I go to Asian market, will get the Asian eggplant to try.

    ReplyDelete