Monday, July 16, 2012

[Cook] Hiyayakko (Cold Tofu with Ginger and Green Onions)

This appetizer dish is super easy, and "should" taste good. But somehow the one I made was pretty horrible. It was so bad that I took one bite and the rest ended up in the trash can. The problem was the tofu. I bought all natural soft tofu from Sprouts (it is Sprouts store brand). Somehow this tofu just doesn't have the right flavor and texture. It tasted rough and had a bit sour taste to it. I have no idea why it was sour. The expiration date was 2 weeks away so I don't think the tofu had gone bad. But I will know not to buy tofu from Sprouts again (although it is still my favorite supermarket). I shall try this again with soft silky tofu from an Asian supermarket.


Hiyayakko (Cold Tofu with Ginger and Green Onions)



4-inch square soft tofu
1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced green onion, including tender green tops
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, preferably light soy sauce



Place the tofu in a shallow bowl. Arrange the ginger in a mound on the top of tofu, and sprinkle with the green onion. Let the diner top with soy sauce according to his or her taste.

(Recipe from Let’s Cook Japanese Food)

3 comments:

  1. I like mine with the addition of sesame oil, bonito flakes and a century egg (pi dan)!

    Then it becomes pi dan tofu! haha...
    I love pi dan tofu.
    For some reason, I love having it with beef noodle soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eileen,

    The tofu package looks a bit swollen ==> spoiled tofu. I still prefer to get tofu (especially the nigari tofu = all natural tofu, no calcium sulfate or magnesium chloride) from HMart, Mitsuwa, 99 Ranch. I agree that asians have more years of tofu-making than americans, so it must taste better :-)

    Sour tofu tastes so nasty. Yuck!
    Next time I'll be more careful when I pick up a package of tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 涼拌豆腐也要用日本名哦.......真行

    .......

    ReplyDelete